Skip to main content

Lisbon - Fatima - Porto

Yesterday, on my way to Porto I made a stop on The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fatima. As the bus made its way into the station I saw the top of the Basilica, which rises 65 meters high. When got off the bus, I walked there on the main road not realizing I had just missed the town of Fatima to the left of the road. The sanctuary was nothing like what I expected. Or, I guess I had no idea about what to expect. I thought I would see one Basilica. However, the sanctuary is a large complex with many buildings and monuments. The Basilica sits at the top overlooking a huge open plaza with a monument to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the center. To the right is the open air Chapel of Apparitions. At the opposite end is the Church of the Holy Trinity and at the end, on the left, the Chapel of the Sacred Laursperene. I only had a couple of hours so I walked around and lit a couple of candles. Then, I sat in line to visit an exhibit not realizing that the people in line were enough to fill the space and prevent me from going in. One of the nuns explained that they were 55 students going inside together and the place was not big enough to accommodate anyone else. I had to walk back to the bus station to continue on to my trip to Porto so I left. On my way back, I walked through the little town that I had skipped on my way in. The whole place was lined up with colorful little stores selling religious souvenirs. Main street, side streets, the plaza, all with many, many, many small shops selling similar souvenir items. I browsed the shops under the pouring rain and made my way back to the bus station. Many of the items were very similar to the ones my father had brought home from his trip to Fatima. It's been many years since he went to Fatima, but I still have the rosary and the image of Fatima he bought me.


Popular posts from this blog

Day 2: O Porriño - Redondela

I learned my lesson from yesterday. This morning I had breakfast: café y croissant a la plancha con marmelada. I enjoyed my breakfast while watching Spanish news. Obama was on TV discussing the US-Cuba Relations. Before leaving the city, I stopped at charcuteria bought some cheese and chorizo. Then, I stopped at a market and bought some bread and water. The day was warm but not as hot as yesterday. Today I had my backpack and had to learn how to adjust it so it sits on my hipbones like it's supposed to. I walked slowly and took many breaks. The first 25 minutes felt like one hour. There were a lot of climbs, long descends and lots of concrete. I saw one of the guys from the albergue, Carlos, he was walking super fast with a friend. Even if I wanted to, I could not keep up with them. I also saw the two German ladies that stayed at the albergue in Tui and greeted each other. They seem very friendly but their English was not very clear. Getting into Redondela was very tiring because…

Day 4: Pontevedra - Calda dos Reis

Today I walked with the Brazilians. We had breakfast before leaving the hotel and left early trying to avoid the rain. We took very few breaks and I walked at their pace which was a big mistake. About 40 minutes till Calda dos Reis, I had to stop walking. My feet were killing me and I could tell I had blisters on the heels of my feet. I stopped walking. I told them I would meet them later at their hotel. I ended up staying at the same place they did because it was the first hotel as I walked into town. I walked to my room, removed my shoes and called them to inform them that I had arrived. I didn't see them anymore. I went into town, got some water, stopped at a bakery and went to the supermarket to get a few things. On the way back to the hotel, I stopped at a sports store and bought three pairs of socks. They are cotton and I am scared to wear them but I have no choice because wool wasn't available. I also stopped by an orthopedics store and bought some very cushy insoles. I…

Day 1: Camino Rule Number One

Do not wash, all at once, every single pair of socks you brought to the Camino with you. Period. Don't. Just don't - even if you have to wear dirty, stinky socks. I broke rule number one. In the morning all my socks were wet! So I proceeded to break rule number two, which says: If you microwave your wet socks, do not walk away from the microwave while it’s on. Yep, I set my socks on fire. I guess a combination of water and Vaseline made for a perfect combustible good. The socks were burnt to a point of no return, with big black crispy holes in them. Luckily, I didn't set the albergue on fire and no one noticed my mess. Now, I have one pair of socks left. I had to microwave these as well because I could not walk 16km wearing wet socks. I watched them closely and they were mostly dry after just a few minutes.

Edit 1: The same people that own Tuitrans own Albergue El Camino. Lourdes, the hospitaleira at Albergue El Camino, had shared Tuitrans information with me the night be…